Monday, September 2, 2013

Let’s talk about eating!



The food, for the most part, is pretty tasty! But, it’s almost all carbs and fats. I can’t keep up, especially with how much my host family insists on feeding me! Breakfast is a whole spread: tea, naan, another kind of naan, sometimes a third kind of naan, cookies (that they either spread with butter or dunk in their tea), chocolates, hardboiled eggs, and whatever breakfast dish my host mother cooks that day. A few days ago, I only ate one of the two hardboiled eggs given to me at breakfast. My host mother said, “You can eat the other with lunch.” Silly me, I thought that egg would be a main component of the next meal. Nope. I was given a huge plate of potatoes with two chunks of meat on top and a small dish of salaad shirazi (tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions). I ate the salad and fought through to finish that entire potato dish, but then I still had to eat that damn egg. It doesn’t sound like a lot, but I saw death coming for me. Somehow, I’m getting away with only eating two meals a day (probably because I’m still going to bed around 8). 

It’s not a surprise that the food is different here, but the way I eat here is different, too. When I eat breakfast in the States, I multitask; I have to be watching the news, or getting dressed, or packing my bag for the day, or reading, or doing anything, really, at the same time.  When I eat breakfast in Dushanbe, I don’t do anything other than eat breakfast. After I’m done eating, I usually still have my tea to finish, and every day I have to restrain myself from getting up and carrying it around with me while I do other things. I just sit and drink. It feels weird. But I’m getting used to it!

That’s enough for now. Stay tuned for a post about my trip to the bazaar!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, I am full just reading about it! Sounds like you eat what you get, no passing the food around the table? Glad to hear that meals are an event unto themselves. Maybe you can help us get back to that here at home. Remember Ronald Reagan "All great change in America begins at the dinner table."
    Have fun at the bazaar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have to start a Weight Watchers group, or maybe I'd just start a Whale Watchers, since I'd be the size of a whale from eating all of that.

    ReplyDelete